Skip Navigation
Sat Jan 16, 2021
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Confidential Help: 800-342-9647     Technical Support: 877-811-ARMY
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools Total Army Strong
Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again:

By Star-Ledger Wire Services
February 09, 2010, 8:00AM

Q. My husband is currently serving in the U.S. Army. I was told that changes in the law allow some of his education benefits to be transferred to our children, who are now in high school. Is that correct?

A. The new GI Bill, which took effect on Aug. 1, 2009, provides a big boost to military families who are saving for their kids’ college education: Longtime service members can now transfer their GI Bill benefits to their spouse and children. To qualify, you must be on active duty or selected reserve, have served at least six years in the armed forces and agree to serve four more years (the rules are slightly different if you are eligible for military retirement between August 1, 2009, and August 1, 2013).

Read full article.