Skip Navigation
Wed Apr 25, 2018
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools Total Army Strong
Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again:

Permanent change of stations don't have to be taxing. Army families undergoing a PCS move may be entitled to a federal income-tax deduction for that part of the expenses not reimbursed by the Army. IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses, explains what costs are deductible, including shipping the family pet and additional insurance coverage on household goods en-route. The deduction applies whether the move was handled professionally or on a Do It-Yourself (DITY) basis. If you already filed your 1997 tax return and overlooked this deduction, you may file an amended return for up to three years after the regular due date of that return. For free copies of IRS Publication 521, Moving Expenses and Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return, call the IRS toll-free 1-800-829-3676. If you're overseas, contact the legal assistance office or Army Community Service center on your installation. Help-line available for moving problems Good news for Army families! A customer service center operated by the Military Traffic Management Command provides assistance on transportation related complaints or problems on the movement of personal property, privately owned vehicle or government purchased passenger travel that can not be resolved by your local Installation Transportation Office. To make it easier for you to reach them, a toll-free number is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.M.-4:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time; call 1-800-756-6862. At all other times your call will be answered by voice mail and returned as soon as possible.