Live Chat Support

Welcome! I’m Robert

Your State Community Support Coordinator. Here you will find helpful resources in your area.

Contact Me:


Soldiers who served at least 90 days on active duty on or after 11 September 2001 are eligible to take advantage of the Post 9/11 GI Bill which provides up to 36 months of benefits for education at an institution of higher learning. Benefits of the program include tuition, fees, a monthly living allowance, books and supplies. Benefits may be transferred to spouse or dependent children.

In-State Tuition for Military Members and their Families

For periods of enrollment that begin after July 1, 2009, members of the armed forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard) on active duty for a period of more than 30 days and his or her spouse, or his or her dependent children will be eligible to receive in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. Once a Service member or their family members are enrolled and paying in-state tuition, they will continue to pay the in-state tuition rate as long as they remain continuously enrolled at the institution even if the Service member is reassigned outside the state.
This change is included in section 135 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (H. R. 4137) (HEOA) which was signed into law on August 14, 2008 and amends and extends the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA). This requirement applies to all public institutions that receive funds under a program authorized by the HEA.

The Department of Education has worked with the institutions of higher education and is confident they are aware of the changes in the law and are fully implementing the policy. However, as we all know, there is always the chance that someone just doesn't get the word. If this happens, you should contact the financial aid or registrar's office at the institution. You can also contact the Veterans Affairs office at the institution. Even though you are active duty, these offices should be able to assist you.

In the rare cases where these steps don't resolve the situation, please contact the Department of Education’s Ombudsman's office (toll-free at 877 557-2575) or via the internet. The online Ombudsman Assistance Request Form can be found at the Office of the Ombudsman website. Both links access complaint information.