Skip Navigation
Fri Jan 20, 2017
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools ARMYBook

Question & Answer Service Providers

Click on a Service Provider or Reference below for more information.

What is the criteria for extensions for filing Federal Income Taxes for service members?  
Individuals who are unable to finish their Federal Income Tax returns by April 15 can I get an extension by filing a Form 4868, Extension to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, by the April 15th due date. By filing the extension, you avoid the late filing penalty. Note, that filing this form does not extend the time to pay your income tax. You should make an accurate estimate of your tax and send any necessary payment with your Form 4868. If unable to pay the full amount due with Form 4868, you can still get the extension but you will owe interest on the unpaid amount. Special rules apply to U.S. citizens and residents whose home and main place of business or post of duty are outside the United States or Puerto Rico on the return due date, April 15. An automatic two month extension applies if residing overseas. For more information, refer to Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.
Keywords: Financial, 1040 form, Finance, income tax return

Question & Answer Service Providers  
Service ProviderReferenceMeans of Delivery
Civilian Personnel Office Verbal
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve Verbal
Human Resources Verbal
Internal Revenue Service Publication
Local Library Publication
Staff Judge Advocate Verbal
U.S. Postal Service Publication
Unit Tax Center Verbal

Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again: