Skip Navigation
Wed Jan 18, 2017
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools ARMYBook

Question & Answer Service Providers

Click on a Service Provider or Reference below for more information.

What are some of the legal issues I need to be aware of if I have a child while living OCONUS?  
There are several important things you will need to do if you have a baby while stationed overseas. You will need to get your newborn enrolled in DEERS as soon as possible to ensure continuance of medical care coverage. This will require that you obtain a certificate of live birth from the hospital or birthing center where your baby was born as well as a completed DEERS Enrollment form, DD Form 1172 signed by the newborn’s sponsor. You will also need to register your child with the appropriate U.S. or foreign authorities (in some instances, both). This registration documents the child’s citizenship and will enable you to get your child a passport. The Personnel Detachment office in your military community can assist you in completing the paperwork required to obtain a passport from the servicing American embassy or U.S. consulate. If one or both parents are not U.S. citizens, your home country embassy or consulate authorities should be contacted for guidance on birth registration procedures. You may also need to contact the nearest U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services. If applicable, you should also apply for a Social Security number for your newborn.
Keywords: baby, Relocation

Question & Answer Service Providers  
Service ProviderReferenceMeans of Delivery
Army Community Service Information and Referral Services Verbal
Army Community Service New Parent's Support Program Verbal
Family Planning Clinics Verbal
Family Practice Verbal
Military Medical Treatment Verbal
Primary Care Provider Verbal
Staff Judge Advocate Verbal
State Department Written
United States Embassies Written

Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again: