Skip Navigation
Sun Jan 22, 2017
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools ARMYBook

Question & Answer Service Providers

Click on a Service Provider or Reference below for more information.

If I adopt a child born in a foreign country, will my adoption expenses be reimbursed?  
Active duty military members can be reimbursed for documented, reasonable, and necessary "qualifying" adoption expenses up to $2000 per adoptive child, but not more than $5000 per calendar year. A "qualifying" adoption refers to a child under the age of 18, intercountry adoptions, and adoptions of children with special needs and only if they are arranged by a qualified adoption agency. The adoption must have been arranged through a state or local government agency or through a nonprofit voluntary adoption agency that is authorized by state or local law to place children for adoption. Private adoptions and adoptions of stepchildren are not covered. Check with your military legal and/or finance officer for more information.
Keywords: Reimbursement, DFAS, Adopting overseas

Question & Answer Service Providers  
Service ProviderReferenceMeans of Delivery
Adoption Services Verbal
Defense Finance and Accounting Service Written
Department of Defense DoD Instruction 1341.9 Adoption Reimbursement Policy Publication
Department of Defense Department of Defense Financial Management Regulation, DoD 7000.14R Publication
Military Personnel Office Verbal
Personnel and Administration Center Verbal
Staff Judge Advocate Verbal
Unit Finance Office Verbal

Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again: