Skip Navigation
Wed Aug 05, 2020
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Confidential Help: 800-342-9647     Technical Support: 877-811-ARMY
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools ARMYBook

Question & Answer Listing

Select a Question & Answer entry to see a list of service providers.

Personnel Issues -- Question & Answer Listing  
Question / Answer

How do I obtain or renew my Military ID card?

Most of the military benefits for service members and their dependents such as commissary and exchange privileges, access to recreation facilities, theaters, and medical care require a valid Military identification card. Service members are issued ID cards upon entry to active service. DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card), is used to apply for issue, or reissue of, ID cards. This form is automated and generated through the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and the information must be verified from the sponsor’s personnel records or from the appropriate documents as applicable. These may include marriage certificates, birth certificates or adoption papers, certification of student status (for dependent children over the age of 18), or medical statements. Family members of active duty personnel use DD Form 1173, whereas family members of the DoD Guard and Reserve Component use a DD Form 1173-1. Military IDs are issued by personnel detachment service centers through the Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS). Contact your military community’s personnel office for more information or visit the RAPIDS Site locator online to find the nearest service center to you (

What is a DD Form 2648, Pre-separation Counseling Checklist used for?

The DD Form 2648, Pre-separation Counseling Checklist is used as part of the mandatory pre-separation counseling procedure that is required of all separating and retiring military members. It is used to record pre-separation services and benefits requested by and provided to service members and to identify areas of interest as a basis for development of an Individual Transition Plan (ITP).

What kind of allowances am I entitled to as a DA Civilian employed overseas?

There are a number of DoD & Department of the Army (DA) Civilian Foreign Employment Allowances that may include a Cost of Living Allowance (COLA), travel and shipment of household goods and POV, and access to military commissaries, exchanges, and Recreational facilities owned, operated, or under the jurisdiction of the DoD. Contact your Army Civilian Personal Office for more information.

Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again: