Skip Navigation
Tue Aug 04, 2020
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Confidential Help: 800-342-9647     Technical Support: 877-811-ARMY
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools ARMYBook

Question & Answer Listing

Select a Question & Answer entry to see a list of service providers.

Citizenship -- Question & Answer Listing  
Question / Answer

How can my foreign-born spouse become a U.S. citizen?

Naturalization is the process by which a foreign citizen national obtains U.S. citizenship after fulfilling the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In order to become a U.S. citizen, applicants must demonstrate good moral character, an attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and a favorable disposition toward the United States. Naturalization requirements also include the established a period of continuous residency and physical presence in the U.S.; the ability to read, write, and speak English; and knowledge and understanding of U.S. history and government. The latter naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. citizens. Contact the nearest U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services field office for more information.

Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again: