Skip Navigation
Fri Sep 18, 2020
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Confidential Help: 800-342-9647     Technical Support: 877-811-ARMY
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools ARMYBook

Question & Answer Service Providers

Click on a Service Provider or Reference below for more information.

How do I obtain or renew my Military ID card?  
Most of the military benefits for service members and their dependents such as commissary and exchange privileges, access to recreation facilities, theaters, and medical care require a valid Military identification card. Service members are issued ID cards upon entry to active service. DD Form 1172 (Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card), is used to apply for issue, or reissue of, ID cards. This form is automated and generated through the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and the information must be verified from the sponsor’s personnel records or from the appropriate documents as applicable. These may include marriage certificates, birth certificates or adoption papers, certification of student status (for dependent children over the age of 18), or medical statements. Family members of active duty personnel use DD Form 1173, whereas family members of the DoD Guard and Reserve Component use a DD Form 1173-1. Military IDs are issued by personnel detachment service centers through the Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS). Contact your military community’s personnel office for more information or visit the RAPIDS Site locator online to find the nearest service center to you (
Keywords: Identification, ID Card, Personnel Issues

Question & Answer Service Providers  
Service ProviderReferenceMeans of Delivery
Army Community Service Outreach Program Verbal
Chain of Command Verbal
Chain of Concern Verbal
Department of Defense Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) Personal Interface
Department of Defense Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System Personal Interface
Family Program Coordinator US Army National Guard Verbal
Installation In and Out Processing Center Verbal
Military Personnel Office Verbal
Personnel and Administration Center Verbal
Soldier and Family Assistance Program Manager US ARMY RECRUITING COMMAND (USAREC) Pamphlet 608-5 A Guide for Soldier and Family Assistance Programs Verbal
U.S. Army Reserve Family Program Director Verbal

Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again: