AER is a private non-profit and is the Army's own emergency financial assistance organization, dedicated to "Helping the Army Take Care of Its Own". AER provides emergency financial assistance to Soldiers and their Families.
AER funds made available to commanders, are not limited, and are constrained only by the requirement of valid need. For these reasons, the AER assistance program is conducted within the Army structure by major commanders and their installation/organization commanders, through AER sections and other related organizations.
If an eligible Soldier or Family member is not near an Army installation with an AER section, assistance may be obtained through Air Force Aid Society, Navy – Marine Corps Relief Society or Coast Guard Mutual Assistance offices. If none of these offices are within 50 miles, assistance may be obtained through the American Red Cross call center at 1-877-272-7337.
Categories of emergency assistance:
- Mortgage, rent, deposits, utilities
- Vehicle Repair
- Funeral expenses
- Medical/dental expenses
- Personal needs when pay is delayed or stolen
- Dependent Dental care
- Cranial Helmets
- Child Seats
- Basic Furniture needs
- Repair/Replacement of HVAC equipment
- Repair/Replacement of major appliances
- Car Rental while on emergency travel or when the primary vehicle is being repaired.
- Car down payment when the cost to repair exceeds the value of the car.
- Dependent Children of eligible Soldiers are eligible to compete for an scholarship for undergraduate-level education scholarships, through the Ursano Scholarship Program.
- Spouses of eligible Soldiers are eligible to compete for undergraduate-level education scholarships, through the Spouse Scholarship Program.
- Active Duty Soldiers and their Families
- Retired Soldiers, receiving a retired check from DFAS, and their Families
- Children and Spouses of “Gray Area” Retirees from the Army National Guard and Army Reserve are eligible to compete for scholarships
- Army Reserve Soldiers, on orders for 30 days or more, and their Families. (eligible on the first day of the orders)
- Army National Guard Soldiers, on Title 10 orders for 30 days or more, and their Families. (eligible on the first day of the orders.)