Skip Navigation
Wed May 27, 2020
Army OneSource
Army OneSource
Confidential Help: 800-342-9647     Technical Support: 877-811-ARMY
Commander's Page Online Training
Volunteer Tools Total Army Strong
Full Website
This site may not be optimized
for a mobile browsing experience.
Please don't show me this again:

Personal Belongings

Generally, there are three options for moving your household goods:

  1. You can have the government hire a mover
  2. You can move it yourself, or
  3. You can do a combination of the two.

If you are going to or from an overseas location, you can usually only make a government move.

If you choose a Government Move, the mover is responsible for all the packing, loading, moving and unloading. They will also provide all boxes, crating, and other supplies. Cost of the move is paid directly from the government to the mover.

Moving yourself is called a Personally Procured Move, previously known as a DITY move. Should you choose this option, the government will pay you 95% of what a mover would have been paid for the same move. This is called your incentive payment, and it is taxable income. All of the moving costs (rental vehicle, packing materials, fuel) are paid by you. You must provide full and empty certified weight tickets, and the move must be approved in advance. You may be able to get an advance of 60% of the estimated incentive payment.

Regardless of the method chosen, there is a maximum amount of weight that can be shipped or stored, based on rank and dependency status. If going to certain overseas locations, your weight allowance may be limited. Also, shipment of larger appliances is limited. Check with your ACS Relocation Program Manager for details.

If you're not allowed to ship your full weight allowance, you may be authorized storage at government expense.

Contact your local transportation office for detailed information on shipping and storing your HHG.


Visit Relocation Readiness for:

  • Assistance or Moving Advice
  • Relocation Resources

  • Surface Deployment and Distribution Command (SDDC), the people who move your Household Goods (HHG), publish two booklets for military and for civilians with complete, official information about moving.
  • is the place to go to set up your HHG shipment.



Military OneSource provides an installation program directory that allows you to search for your local Relocation Assistance Program Office.

Click Here to access
the MOS Moving page and
utilize program directory.

*The directory is located on the right side halfway down the page.