1. What is a ‘Virtual World’?
A Virtual World is a 3-dimensional simulated online community that represents a visual real world. Users have visual representations of themselves, typically called ‘avatars’ that they use to navigate the world and interact with other users. The areas of land in which they interact are called regions or levels.
2. What is the Army OneSource Virtual World?
The Army OneSource Virtual World is the newest innovation for virtual world services and resources designed to serve Soldiers and Families worldwide. The virtual environment is an effective tool for geographically dispersed Soldiers to keep in touch with family members and friends, and the programs within their Army Community. Users can meet virtually to collaborate, learn, socialize, host or attend training sessions, and participate in daily events!
The Virtual Resiliency Campus consists of:
- The Army Community Center
- The Collaboration Center
- Spiritual Resiliency Region
- Family Resiliency Region
- Emotional Resiliency Region
- Social Resiliency Region
- Physical Resiliency
3. What is an avatar?
An avatar is a virtual representation of yourself that you can customize any way you want, including clothing, hair and body style.
4. How do I access the Army OneSource Virtual World?
To access the Army OneSource Virtual World you will need to have an Army OneSource account. To create an Army OneSource account, click the “Register” link from the top of Army OneSource page. Once you have created an Army OneSource account, you are ready to access the Army OneSource Virtual World!
- Click the Army OneSource Virtual World image from the bottom left of the Army OneSource homepage (www.myarmyonesource.com).
- Click the “Launch” button to register for the Army OneSource Virtual World.
- Fill out the registration form and submit.
Congratulations you are now ready to visit the virtual world!
To log in, visit the Army OneSource Virtual World page at www.myarmyonesource.com/virtualworld and click the “Launch” button!
5. Do I need to download software or a program to access the Army OneSource Virtual World?
The first time you login to the Army OneSource Virtual World, you will be prompted to install a small browser plug-in. After the initial login, no additional software downloads is required.
6. My friend wants to attend an event in the Army OneSource Virtual World; are they allowed to join?
Yes! The Army OneSource Virtual World is dedicated to connecting soldiers with their family members and friends. To join, they must register for an Army OneSource account by clicking the "Register" link from the top of the Army OneSource page. Once they have created an Army OneSource account, they can access the Army OneSource Virtual World registration page at www.myarmyonesource.com/virtualworld.
7. Do I have to pay for the Army OneSource Virtual World?
The Army OneSource Virtual World is FREE to all users. You do not have to pay for anything!
8. If I am visiting one part of the Army OneSource Virtual World, how do I go to another region?
There are two ways to visit the different regions in the Army OneSource Virtual World:
- Click on the Home icon located at the top right side of your screen. Once you have made it back to the Welcome screen, you can enter any region of your choice by selecting it from the bottom of the screen and clicking Enter.
- The Map icon provides a second method of access to the regions and centers in the Army OneSource Virtual World.
- From the Tool Bar, click the Map icon to open the map. Note the map view will display the region or center you are in currently.
- Click any of the regions or centers thumbnail icons to view a different location. Each region and center has an individual map indicating places of interest to visit by teleporting.
- Select a place to visit and click the Teleport button.
9. How do I see the front of my avatar? What if I don’t like what it looks like?
You can see the front of your avatar by clicking your right mouse button and holding it down as you drag to change your view. If you would like to change your avatar’s appearance, click on the Character icon located within the tool bar at the top right of your screen.
10. How can I find out what events or training sessions are occurring in the Army OneSource Virtual World?
The events calendar can be viewed once you are inside of a region and your top right tool bar has appeared. Click on the Events icon and the calendar will appear on your screen.