Fort Jackson, South Carolina is the largest and most active Initial Entry Training Center in the United States Army, providing training to almost 50% of the men and women who enter the service each year. While some military installations have experienced downsizing and closure in recent years, Fort Jackson has added several new schools and training institutions including the Soldier Support Institute, the Chaplains Center and School, and the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute. For more information on Fort Jackson, please click here.
Fort Jackson History: On June 2, 1917, a new Army Training Center was established to answer America`s call for trained fighting men in the early, ominous days of World War I. This installation would become the largest and most active of its kind in the world. First known as the Sixth National Cantonment, and later as Camp Jackson, Fort Jackson has always served as the Army`s pioneer in the training environment. Named the Army`s Community of Excellence in 1988, Fort Jackson has continued to earn awards for excellence year after year. For more information please click here.
Columbia, South Carolina is a city filled with hundreds of years of history preserved in museums, churches, monuments and plantation houses. Its mild climate encourages visitors and residents to participate in some form of outdoor recreation nearly year-round. This bountiful land with abundant game appeals to hunters, anglers and nature lovers. Columbia is also noted for its zoo and botanical gardens, sports, arts and local special events. The city is located in the center of the state and is accessible from three major highways – I-20, I-26 and I-77. Both I-85 and I-95 are a short drive away. Please click here for more information on Columbia, SC.
Veterans and active duty military can join millions of their fellow Americans and save money at tax time. MyFreeTaxes provides free federal and state tax preparation and filing assistance both online and in person for qualified individuals and families earning $58,000 or less. MyFreeTaxes.com is the only free online tax preparation and filing service available in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., allowing users to file both a federal and state return no matter where they live. Learn more at myfreetaxes.com/ArmyOneSource.
These cities have an IRS certified tax coach onsite in a Veterans organization to assist Service members, Veterans and their Family members with preparing their own taxes through MyFreeTaxes.
- Washington DC – VA Veterans Community Resource & Referral Center
- Dallas, TX – Veterans Community Resource & Referral Center
- Atlanta, GA – Ft. McPherson Veterans Community Resource & Referral Center
- Nashville, TN - Operation Stand Down
- Detroit, MI – VA Hospital & Veterans Community Resource & Referral Center
- Jacksonville, FL – City of Jax Department of Military Affairs & Veterans Services
- Chicago, IL – Workforce Centers promoting through Veterans staff
- Los Angeles, CA – Workforce Centers promoting through Veterans staff
Download the MyFreeTaxes Flyer for more information.
Attention National Guard Families! Our Military Kids wants to help your family through this deployment.
If you have a child ages 5 to 18 whose parent is currently deployed overseas with the National Guard (180-day deployments for Army, 120-day deployments for Air), your child is eligible for a grant. The grants, which can be up to $500, will pay for up to six months of an extracurricular activity of your choice. This includes sports, fine arts, and tutoring programs – almost any activity other than religious programs, daycare, and private school tuition.
The process is simple.
Click here to select the appropriate one page application.
- Download and complete the application, send it to Our Military Kids – along with copies of three supporting documents:
1) A copy of the Title 10 deployment orders;
2) A form of ID for your child that proves dependency to the service member – we accept a Military ID, birth certificate, or 1172 DEERS form;
3) Fee/pricing information that clearly states the cost of the activity of your choice – a flyer, brochure, invoice, etc.
- After Our Military Kids receives your application and documents, a check is sent within 14 days directly to the service provider of the activity.
Visit Our Military Kids FAQ page for any questions. If you don’t see an answer to your question, call the Our Military Kids office at (703) 734-6654. Keep in mind – Our Military Kids can only provide grants to children with a parent who is currently deployed – if your service member has yet to deploy, or has already returned home, the child is not eligible.
Our Military Kids looks forward to recognizing our littlest warriors for their service to our country!
Disclaimer: Reference and mentioning herein to any specific business, private organization, manufacturer, appearance of external links on this site, or otherwise, does not constitute or imply its official endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government, Department of Defense, United States Army or United States Army Family and MWR Command. The views and opinions of expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government, United States Army, Department of Defense or United States Army Family and MWR Command, and shall not be used for endorsement purposes.