Recent military veterans will have top priority for jobs under a federal program to put more police officers on patrol on America's streets
Under the Justice Department's COPS (Community Oriented Policing Services) program, 629 of the 800 police jobs funded for the next three years – all the newly hired officers – must go to veterans who served at least 180 days' active duty since 9/11. This is the first time the 18-year-old COPS program has required cities and counties seeking grants to hire veterans exclusively.
Read Full Article
In The May 2012 Issue...
Three Opt Out Offers to Consider
• Opt Out of Pre-Approved Credit Card Offers
• Opt Out of Direct Mail (Junk in our Mailbox and/or Inbox)
• Opt Out of Telemarketing Lists
Top 3 Opt Out Offers We Should All Consider
Pre-approved credit card offers, junk mail, and telemarketers can be hassles and pose real financial security risks to us. "Opting out" of these services is a way to minimize these intrusions into our lives.
Here are three opt out actions you might want to consider taking advantage of:
1. Pre-Approved Credit Card Offers: Call toll-free 888-5-OPTOUT (888-567-8688) or visit www.OptOutPreScreen.com to decrease the number of pre-approved credit card offers in your mailbox. You are able opt out for five years or permanently. If you change your mind and want to opt back in, follow the same process. The process may take up to 60 days to stop receiving pre-screened offers, though you will likely notice a decrease in the amount of offers in your mailbox within a week or so.
2. Junk Mail and Email: To decrease the amount of commercial junk mail (technically known as direct mail) you receive, visit www.DMAchoice.org. This service can help you set limits with regards to who may send you catalogs and commercial offers by mail and/or email. The service is effective only for 3 years, so you would have to revisit the site before it expires.
3. Telemarketing Offers: To drastically cut the number of telemarketers calling you, add your phone to the national Do Not Call registry at www.DoNotCall.gov or by calling 888-382-1222 from the phone number you'd like to register.
None of these services are guaranteed to completely stop all offers by mail, email, or phone, but they can have a noticeable impact on the intrusion such offers make into your time.
Best wishes as you continue striving to live debt free. We know it’s not always easy, but it’s always well worth your effort. If you have any questions, would like to discuss ways to meet your financial challenges, or, if you’re a current or former client, simply want to update us on your present situation, please contact us at your convenience. We are here to help you and look forward to hearing from you.
Be a Military Saver
"I've got plenty of savings, and I never worry about money."
Help our military families and our nation say that and mean it. Join the Military Saves campaign today, and invite your entire organization to become a saving community. Visit www.militarysaves.org.
If you’re part of a military organization, ask your commander to commit to the campaign. It’s part of the DoD Financial Readiness Campaign, and is an official program authorized by the Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corp, National Guard, and Coast Guard are all partners in the campaign. It’s as simple as promoting saving – for emergencies, for purchases, for debt reduction, for home ownership, for education, for retirement – to the men and women in your organization, and to their families. Your defense credit union and military bank will help you by offering incentives and support for special events, and your Family Programs office can provide classes, workshop, counseling, and other financial literacy services that your people will want once they commit to building wealth.
If you’re a corporate representative or contractor, support the campaign within the military organizations you’re connected to, and bring the campaign to your company. Military Saves is part of the America Saves campaign, and we are committed to helping all organizations encourage saving among their employees, members and customers. Your human resources, marketing, and other executive staff will be interested in the simple system we suggest for campaign participation, and in the customizable resources available for your campaign partnership.
Go to www.militarysaves.org. today, and click on the “Resources” tab. If you have questions or want individual consultation, call or email us. Welcome to the campaign for a financially free America!
Managing money can be demanding, especially for National Guard members and Families coping with the challenges of military service and deployment. Fortunately, practical support, tools and resources are available to help you secure your future, achieve your financial goals and improve your quality of life. The Financial Management Awareness Program is the newest addition to the support programs of the National Guard Bureau, connecting you to valuable financial information, services, and support.
Disclaimer: Reference and mentioning herein to any specific business, private organization, manufacturer, appearance of external links on this site, or otherwise, does not constitute or imply its official endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government, Department of Defense, United States Army or United States Army Family and MWR Command. The views and opinions of expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government, United States Army, Department of Defense or United States Army Family and MWR Command, and shall not be used for endorsement purposes.